DDTX22LUF028 DDTX21681676inservice2


    The U.S. Department of Defense Firefighter Property Program provides excess DoD military property (PDF, 52KB) to emergency service providers. Ownership of the equipment is passed from the federal government to the recipient. Statewide enrollment is now open. 

     + Eligibility & Application

    Fire departments and other emergency response providers in the state of Texas may apply for assistance under the FFP Program. To apply, complete and submit the following form by mail or fax.

    IMPORTANT: A W-9 form is required for applicants applying for a slip-on unit (available to volunteer and combination departments with 20 or fewer paid members)

    To revise your application, complete the Revision Request Form and submit it via mail or fax. It is important to keep us up to date on changes relating to your department, such as changes in contact information, changes to requests, changes in population, etc. It is also important to keep us aware of the current size of your protection area. You can find guidance on how to update your protection area here.

     + Vehicle Types/Slip-on Unit Grants


    • Panel (box) vans 
    • 2.5 ton 6x6 trucks 
    • 5 ton 6x6 trucks 
    • Haul trucks (5th wheel)

    Rare items are occasionally available:

    • Tank trucks
    • 1 ton and 1.25 ton 4x4s
    • 2.2 ton humvees
    • Municipal fire trucks

    Due to the high demand for vehicles and the limited resources of Texas A&M Forest Service to acquire them there is not a standing inventory.

    Departments that receive a 2.5-ton cargo, 5-ton cargo or a tractor style DoD FFP truck on or after Sept. 1, 2015 may be eligible for a slip-on unit grant to assist in converting the truck into a fire apparatus. The FFP Slip-On Unit program element reimbursement rate is set at 100 percent of the actual cost not to exceed $20,000 in grant assistance (with or without CAFS). Receiving fire departments are responsible for other conversion costs required to bring the unit into service, which will serve as the department's in-kind contribution.

    Stewart & Stevenson M1078 2.5 Ton Truck Walkaround


     + Obligations
    Departments and other emergency response providers that receive FFP vehicles must meet certain obligations within the first 180 days of acquisition. The obligations are described in the mandatory cooperative agreement (PDF, 79KB) between the recipient and Texas A&M Forest Service. 


    Once the obligations have been met and verified, recipients will receive the necessary documents to apply for a Texas Certificate of Title. 


     + FAQs

    Q: How do I get a FFP vehicle?

    A: Complete and submit a Form-450 "Application for Firefighter Property Program Assistance."


    Q: What is available?

    A: Vehicles available through the FFP program are similar to the vehicles that have been used in the FEPP program. This includes: 1 ton and 1.25 ton pick-up trucks, panel (box) vans, 2.5 ton trucks, 5 ton trucks, haul trucks (5th wheel). Tanker trucks may also be available. Specialized vehicles such as municipal fire trucks may occasionally be available. The most commonly available vehicle type at this time is the 2.5 ton cargo truck, 5 ton cargo truck, and Tractor (5th wheel) truck.


    Q: How long does it take to get an FFP vehicle?

    A: There are many factors involved in determining the wait time to receive a FFP vehicle. Vehicles first need to be acquired from the military. Texas is in competition for vehicles with other participants of the FFP Program. Vehicles that are acquired are assessed before being offered to cooperators to make sure that they are usable as fire trucks. Applications are sorted and offers are made in accordance with the VFD rating system.


    Q: Will I get to own the FEPP vehicle already assigned to my department?

    A: No.  Property acquired under the FEPP program has different rules than the FFP program.  FEPP property is on loan from the federal government and must eventually be returned to the federal government.


    Q: How long do we have to keep the FFP vehicle?

    A: FFP vehicles must be kept in-service by the department for at least one year.  After one year the department may do what they wish with the vehicle.  Exceptions to one year in-service would be a mechanical failure, a car accident or another type of catastrophic loss of the vehicle which would have to be documented and reported back to Texas A&M Forest Service.


    Q: What does ‘put in service’ mean?

    A: To ‘put in service’ a FFP vehicle must be able to serve its emergency response function.  If it is intended to be used on wildfires it should have a water tank and a functional pump.  If it is intended for rescue or rehab it should have rescue or rehab equipment on board.  ‘In service’ does not include having emergency lighting, radio and siren.


    Q: Are FEPP and FFP the same thing?

    A: No.  FEPP is a separate program.


    Q: Will FEPP equipment be grandfathered into the FFP program?

    A: No.  FEPP items were acquired under different federal rules/regulations than those of the FFP program.


    Q: If I received an FFP slip-on unit, does that affect me receiving a grant through the Rural VFD Assistance Program (HB 2604)?

    A: Yes. If you have received more than $10,000 in assistance in the current year, you may be passed over and will be eligible again in 12 months. FFP slip-on unit grants do not, however, affect truck or training grants. 


    Q: What does DoD-FFP stand for?

    A: Department of Defense-Firefighter Property Program.  The program was created by a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between the USDA-Forest Service and the Department of Defense and managed by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA).

     + Contact

    Texas A&M Forest Service
    481 Texas Forest Service Loop
    Building A456 
    Lufkin, Texas 75904   
    Attn: Firefighter Property Program

    Phone: (936) 639-8100
    Fax: (936) 639-8138